Clicking a lighter is a symbolic act in smoking cannabis. The sharp sound and the instant light of butane lighter probably indicate that you are lighting up. A hemp wick is an alternative way of lighting your marijuana more naturally.
There is no artificial ignition as it uses hemp in a beeswax coating. You will avoid the irritations and odor that comes with a butane lighter. The wick uses hemp cords that burn down and allow you to hold against your weed and light up.
It is a straightforward product to use. However, there are different types in the market. While some are remains of industrial hemp coated with excess wax, there are high-grade products whose manufacture involves cultivating the beeswax and hemp specifically for making the wicks.
How Does it Work?
A hemp wick may seem sophisticated in the beginning. One critical step that irks most people is that you have to use a lighter. Most people don’t understand why they should use a hemp wick, yet they will still light it using a burner. However, the first lighting is meant to start the fire. It won’t stain the wick since the portion where the butane touches burns away on the spot.
Using a Hemp Wick
- The first step involves unfolding the hemp wick. It usually comes as a bundle of tightly intertwined strands. It can have a length of up to 200 meters. You should not unfurl the whole of it since its challenging to rewind it.
- The next step is to free a single cord that you will use by peeling back the fastener, usually a tape that holds down the wick’s first strand.
- Light the tip of the hemp wick while holding it away from wind or any fabric. While it burns, discard the source of flame and allow the wick to burn for some time. In the process, the fire will take hold and burn any likely taint from the butane lighter.
- When it starts to burn nicely, you can now use it to light your weed.
- Hold the end of the flame and inhale as you would do with a match. A hemp wick is beneficial in that it won’t flop when you hold it up but maintains the shape.
Lighting a Pipe
Lighting a pipe with the hemp wick is even easier. You should position the apex into the bowl and inhale gently.
Extinguishing a Hemp Wick
Once you are through with smoking, you can now put off the tip of the wick. It involves using a wet fingertip to press the fire or plunging the tip in water. Confirm to ensure the hemp wick is not hot anymore. From there, you can safely store it for the next use.
A majority of hemp smokers may find it uncomfortable to use anything else other than a butane lighter. Furthermore, they have been in use for centuries, so why should you stop using them? However, being in use for years does not mean there are no better methods. The significant benefit of using hemp wicks other than taste and smell is that it is a hemp constituent. Therefore, it is like using every component of the plant in the whole smoking process.