The use of hemp cords has been a norm for hundreds of years. It is more sustainable to produce hemp than cotton. Besides, hemp fiber has a remarkable prolonged life and produces longer and sturdy twines. You can dye the hemp twines to make them attractive.
Sailors in the past could use hemp rope in anchoring and rigging their ships. It is among the strongest natural fiber you can find. Today, the cords have several applications in the agricultural industry. It is important in trellising of plant that requires support such as tomatoes and passion fruits.
Besides, it is a popular raw material in making textiles and jewelry. It makes macrame; an outstanding design of textiles. However, the fiber has a monotonous color after processing. That’s why it is important to dye hemp twines. You can use transform the fiber to your favorite color.
How to Dye Hemp Twine
- Large board
- Rubber gloves
- Dye (Fibre reactive)
- Measuring spoons
- A non-reactive metal pot (Stainless steel)
- Measuring cylinder
- 6-8 ounces of hemp cord
- Long wooden spoon
- Soda ash
Preparation of the Twine
- Firstly, wind the twine around the box to make a coil. The twine’s loose ring is crucial in separating the threads, which allows the dye to flow and distribute conveniently around the twine.
- Tie the two ends of the cord around the threads in a loose knot and remove it slowly from the box.
- Put on your rubber gloves.
- Then, boil water and fill it in a basin. Add the sythrapol to the hot water. It is a textile cleaner for washing the cord before you add the dye.
- After that, soak the cord in the basin for around 1 hour. Ensure you submerge it completely.
Preparation of the Hemp Twine Dye Bath
- Fill the pot with warm water. Then, add salt and stir.
- Pour two cups of warm water in the measuring cylinder. After that, add one tablespoon of the dye and stir with the chopstick until the dye dissolves completely.
- Pour the solution to the pot containing salt and warm water. Use the long wooden spoon to stir.
Dye the Hemp Twine
- With your rubber gloves on, remove the cord from the sythrapol solution.
- Then, place the cord into the dye bath and submerge it completely. Move the cord gently in the dye bath using the wooden spoon.
- Leave the cord to soak for around 15 minutes in the dye bath as you gently stir the pot. Move the cord around as many times as possible for it to absorb more dye. However, ensure you do it gently.
- With your mask on, add five tablespoons of soda ash in two cups of warm water.
- Then, take the twine from the dye bath and pour the solution with the soda ash to the bath. Mix the solution by thorough stirring.
- Take the cord back to the dye bath and stir for around five minutes. Soak the twine in the dye for 1 hour and stir occasionally.
Finish the Twine
- Pour warm water into the basin.
- Then, take the cord from the dye bath. Get rid of some of the solution by squeezing the twine gently.
- Soak the twine in the basin for 10 minutes. During the rinse, it is normal for some dye to flow into the water.
- After that, rinse the twine with clean water once again.
- Add hot water into the basin and add some textile cleaner solution. Soak the twine for 5 minutes.
- Take the cord out of the basin and place it on a clean towel. Lastly, roll and press the twine to remove excess water and dry the twine.
As you dye the hemp twine, ensure that you take precautions; have the mask and rubber gloves on. Soda ash is a caustic substance; thus, you must be careful when handling it. Another tip is to cover the surfaces that you don’t wish to stain with the dye. You can as well carry out the activity outdoors. However, be on the lookout since the wind may blow the caustic soda ash on you.