Hemp earring uses fiber from the cannabis plant. The durable material is increasingly becoming popular in the making of jewelry. Other than earrings, you can use the fiber in making necklaces and bracelets.
If you want exceptional jewelry, then you should try one made of hemp. Furthermore, you can easily make hemp earrings at home. The advantage of the fiber is that it is readily available.
After learning the basic design of making the earrings, you can incorporate different beaded tassels. The availability of the fiber makes it ideal for designing a wide range of products with other beads.
The Process of Making Hemp Earrings
Below are the materials that you need to make hemp earrings.
- Hemp twine
- Hemp thread
- Earring hooks
- The first thing is to cut two pieces of hemp cord. Each should have a length of about one foot.
- After cutting the hemp twine, pick the hemp thread, and cut ten pieces, each with one foot.
- After that, pull five of the hemp threads and one of the hemp cords halfway via the earring hook.
- You should pull the remaining hemp cord and hemp threads halfway via the other hook of the hemp hearing. Fasten the threads and cord by tying on both earrings with an overhand knot.
- Then, grab all the threads together and form a loop. You should then pass them via the loop and pull them tight.
- The next step involves forming a macrame section of the hemp earrings. You should understand how to make both a macrame square-knot and macrame half-knot. Make the knots using the longer and thicker hemp cords, which are the knotting cords.
How to Make a Half Knot
- Pick the first knotting cord and pass it above the middle threads and below the second knotting cord.
- Then, take the second knotting cord and pass it below the middle strings and then above the first knotting cord.
- Pull the two knotting cords tightly to complete the half knot. To form a macrame coiling pattern design, you need to tie the macrame half knots in a series.
How to Make a Square Knot
- You should tie a half knot first before you make a square knot. After making your half knot, pick the second knotting cord and pass it above the middle threads and below the first knotting cord.
- Then, pass the first knotting cord below the middle threads and then above the second knotting cord.
- Pull the two knotting cords tightly to finish a macrame square knot. To make the macrame level pattern design, you should use the square knots.
You should choose your preferred design, either the level pattern or the coiling pattern, to form the hemp earring section. The portion should have a length of around one inch. You should complete the macrame part using an overhand knot. After that, you can cut off the extra length of the knotting cords.
How to Incorporate Beaded Tassels
- The first step involves taking the middle threads and placing a bead on one of them. Make a one-inch half knot from the end of the earring.
- Cut off the excess length after tying the overhand knot.
- Then, repeat the process with each middle thread.
- You are now through with the project.
You should ensure that the knotting cord fibers are long enough because tying the knots uses much of its length. In case you start with the one that is not sufficiently long, the whole project will flop. Cutting off the extra length is easier after you are through rather than starting from scratch.