Before you make hemp oil, you should understand what is ‘hemp oil.’ Sometimes, the term refers to the entire range of oil extracts from the cannabis plants or hemp seed oil, which is a product of the seeds of the hemp plant. On the other hand, hemp oil is a derivative of the leaves and flowers of the hemp plant and is rich in Cannabidiol (CBD).
Hemp seed oil, which is extracted from the seeds of the plant, contains no CBD, and if present, the amounts are negligible. However, the oil has numerous beneficial nutrients such as trace minerals, vitamins, and omega fats.
Making hemp oil that contains CBD is easy and does not necessarily need expensive equipment. You can use solvents such as coconut oil or ethanol to obtain the oil. The two products are safe for home use. The following are methods of making hemp oil.
Methods of Making Hemp Oil
You can make the oil either using alcohol or coconut oil as the solvent. The two have different procedures.
- 1 oz dry and cured hemp buds
- Solvent (9 oz of coconut oil or high proof alcohol)
- Bowls, ( either ceramic, stainless steel, or glass)
- A double boiler
- Silicone spatulas
How to Make Hemp Oil Using Alcohol Extraction Method
- Grind the buds and place them on the bowl. It would help if you then poured alcohol until they submerge and use the spatula to stir.
- Place a strainer on another bowl and filter the alcohol out of the container. Squeeze the extract several times until when there is no more liquid discharge
- Transfer the liquid into a double boiler and heat until you see bubbles form on the surface.
- Let the solvent evaporate for around 30 minutes at low heat.
- Once the solvent evaporates completely, use the spatula to mix for the last time.
- Place the hemp oil in a bottle and cool it at room temperature. Ensure the lid is tight to avoid contamination and store in a cool dark location.
Coconut Oil Extraction Method
The method requires carrier oil, such as coconut oil, to increase the bioavailability of the CBD.
- Place ground buds on a baking sheet with a parchment paper lining. Bake the cuds for 90-100 minutes at a 320 F.
- Place the ground buds in a mason jar and pour the coconut oil.
- Then, place the towel underneath the pot. Cover the jar using a lid and place it on the dish. After that, fill it with water. Double boil the water to 200 F.
- Let the jar stay in the pot and subject it to low heat for hours. You will need to keep checking the pot to ensure that the water does not evaporate. Then turn off the stove, put it aside, and heat the hemp oil for 3 hours.
- Finally, turn off the stove and let the jar stay for a night.
After that, strain the extract using a cheesecloth and store in a bottle.
You should note that there are differences between hemp and CBD oil. Alcohol extraction is an ideal method for beginners, as it does not require special expertise or expensive equipment. In the coconut oil extraction method, you should decarboxylate the coconut oil before infusing it with the hemp buds. The process has more steps than the use of alcohol, but the outcome justifies the effort.