The use of ropes dates back to ancient times. Ropes were useful in lifting, fastening, pulling, hunting, climbing, and attaching. Hemp rope resembles any other rope but differs in material constituent. The rope consists of the fibrous materials of the hemp plant.
Although it might sound new to some, the product has been there for long. During the times of sailing ships, hemp rope was crucial in holding the anchor and sails rigging. It is as strong as the most robust materials available in the market. Unlike some of them, hemp rope degrades with time, thus no harm to the environment. Hence the revived popularity.
Some of the ropes you will find consist of materials that break easily. Besides, they remain in landfills for years before they degrade to the point that they don’t harm the environment. Currently, the ropes are crucial in sports, exploration construction, and other fields.
How to Make Hemp Rope
Manufacturers take the hemp material through various machines and washings, to end up with a more durable version. However, you can also do it without the machines and even save some cash. Besides, it is a way of saving the environment as you have some fun. You can make a hemp rope in 1-2 hours. It is important to note that it is convenient if you have a colleague to help you with the project.
- Hemp plant stalk
- A pair of scissors
- It would be best if you harvested the hemp stalk as the first step in making the rope. The ease of molding the hemp stalk to a rope depends on the age of cutting.
- Once you have the hemp stalk, use a pair of scissors to cut off the end of the plant. Then, remove the leaves gently.
- After that, crack open the hemp stalk, ensuring uniformity. You can achieve that by folding it in half. Use the curved lines along the crack as a guide to separate the stalk into two sections.
- Next, bend the two sections gently using your fingers to separate the fibers.
- Harvest the interior fibers of the hemp stalk by removing the green outer layer.
- Then, put water in the dish and place the strings. This maintains the freshness as you attend each piece.
- Roll one portion of the fiber back and forth using your palm. Ensure to make the roll as tight as possible. Take the piece back to the dish and roll the second section too.
- After rolling the second piece, you should place it in the water dish and leave the two to soak for five minutes.
- The next step requires another set of hands for proper twisting of the hemp rope. Let each person involved in the process hold an end of each piece. The two of you should twist the sections in opposite directions while holding tightly. The swirling tightens and strengthens the hemp rope.
- The hemp rope usually wounds tightly such that you don’t need to tie off. The extra tails are essential if you wish to add other pieces.
- Your hemp rope is now ready for use. For the hemp rope to last long, it is recommendable that you store in a cool and dry place.
Hemp ropes come with numerous benefits. They are durable, long-lasting, and environmental-friendly. Besides, they are cost-efficient and do not require machines. The most important materials you need are the stalks, and you have your hemp rope ready for use. It is worth noting that you usually get a rope half the size of the fiber. Therefore, you should go for the tallest and freshest stalks you can find.