For long, people have cultivated hemp for its seeds, leaves, and stalks. The parts make several products such as bio-fuels, papers, construction materials, cosmetics, hemp shampoo, and soap, etc. it does well under natural conditions without the need for pesticides. Therefore, you have an assurance that the hemp products are free from chemicals unless if added during processing.
The hemp plant has little Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the substance that causes intoxication. However, the plant contains a high concentration of Cannabidiol (CBD). The compound does not cause a high sensation and has several medicinal properties. Therefore, hemp products do not cause high effect meaning you should not have concerns about possible hallucinations.
People using CBD products intend to reap from the beneficial properties of CBD. Hemp compounds are increasingly becoming common in shampoos, soaps, lotions, and other products. However, you don’t have to shop for hemp shampoos and soaps while you can easily make them at home.
Step by Step Guide
- Double boiler
- Soap base (Glycerine)
- Metallic spoons
- Two tablespoons hemp oil
- Two tablespoons of favorite essential oil (Optional)
- Soap molds
- Rubbing alcohol
- Spray bottle
- Plastic bottles
- Liquid castile soap
The Process of Making Hemp Soap
- Firstly, pour water in the lower pot of the double boiler and heat it on a stovetop to a low simmer. You can prepare the soap as it warms.
- Then, use a sharp knife to chop small pieces of the glycerine soap base. They should be adequate to fill four cups.
- After that, place the pieces on the upper pot of the double boiler. Melt the pieces by placing them on the bottom pot. Stir moderately but only do it occasionally. Too much or fast stirring leads to bubbles in the soap.
- Once the soap melts, remove the upper pot from heat. Stir slowly to ensure the mixture melts completely.
- Blend two teaspoons of hemp oil into the mixture. Add your favorite fragrance in drops until you achieve your desired scent and stir gently. A light, fresh odor will only take you around 3-4 drops.
- Then, pour the mixture into the soap molds and fill them to the rim. Fill the spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and lightly jet the tops of the soap to prevent bubbles.
- Leave the soap in the molds for 24 hours. When the soap hardens, pop it out. You can place the soap in a fridge for around 20 minutes for it to pop out easily. It shrinks the edges of the soap.
How to Make Hemp Shampoo Step by Step
- Take a bowl and pour two cups of the liquid castile soap.
- Then, add two tablespoons of hemp oil and mix thoroughly. Add two tablespoons of your preferred essential oil and blend well.
- Lastly, place the shampoo in the bottles. Tightly seal the caps and shake thoroughly. Leave them to settle for 24 hours. You now have your shampoo. Ensure you shake gently to blend the oils before usage.
To preserve your hemp shampoo and soap fragrance and color, wrap it using plastic when you are not using it. During the process, the soap should not reach the boiling point. Too much heat denatures glycerin and the moisturizers. Furthermore, ensure that you only use a scent recommended for making soap. Some odors may irritate your skin or lead to an allergic reaction.